fiance visa k1

K-1 fiance visa exists for U.S. citizen to bring a fiance from abroad. Foreign national fiancé(e) will use fiance visa to enter the United States. The couple will have to marry within 90 days of fiance’s entry into the United States.

k1 fiance visa application


Petitioner starts the process by filing Form I-129F with USCIS. The filing fee for this petition is $535. Form I-129F requests basic information regarding both parties, such as their addresses, the names of any children of the fiancé(e) any prior marriages. USCIS will approve petition if there is enough evidence of eligibility. If USCIS needs more evidence, they issue a request for evidence. USCIS sends approved petition to the consulate. But only if it is satisfied that the parties have the legal capacity and the intention to marry. Consular officer will then notify the fiancé(e) of the documents he or she needs to submit. The consulate will interview the alien fiance after he or she has collected the necessary documents. If it finds the alien to be admissible and eligible, the consulate will issue a K1 fiance visa.

As a result of Congress’s attempt to deter cases involving “mail-order brides,” a couple now must have “met in person” within two years preceding the filing of the fiancé(e) petition. 

Eligibility Requirements

Petitioner must be a U.S. citizen. Green card holders are not eligible to bring their fiance’s on a k1 fiance visa.

The couple must plan to marry within ninety days of alien fiance’s entry to the U.S.

Petitioner and Beneficiary must be unmarried at the time of filing. If there was a previous marriage, it has to be legally terminated before filing for k1 visa.

Furthermore, Petitioner has to prove meeting with Beneficiary in person at least once. This meeting needs to occur within two years before filing petition for k1 fiance visa. There are two exceptions to this requirement. Either exception requires a waiver. First, a if the requirement violates strict and long-established custom of the foreign culture or social practice. Second, if Petitioner proves that the requirement would result in extreme hardship to him or her.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *